The Cabinet Committee on Security approved the Agnipath Scheme on 14th June 2022. In this article, we have highlighted all details of the scheme.
What is the Agnipath Military scheme?
About 45,000 to 50,000 soldiers will be recruited every year under the scheme. Most of the jawans will have four years of service. Only 25% of the total annual recruitments will be continued for another 15 years under permanent commission. The move will affect the armed forces of 13 lakh personnel in the country. In addition, this will also result in a significant reduction in the Defence Pension Bill. Spending on defence pensions has long been a matter of concern for the government
On 14th June 2022, the Cabinet Committee on Security approved the Agnipath scheme, which enables the Indian youth to serve in the Indian Armed Forces. Rajnath Singh, the Union Defence Minister said that through the ‘Agnipath’ scheme, all useful efforts will be made to create opportunities for youth to serve in Armed Forces. This scheme will help the youth to train and learn new technologies and improve their health levels. With increasing employment opportunities, the youth will learn new skills in various sectors. He also said that the ‘Agniveers’, who will be a part of the Armed Forces under the Agnipath scheme will be given a good pay package and an exit retirement package after 4 years of service.
Agnipath scheme: Features
The Cabinet Committee on Defence of the Union Government has launched the Agnipath Recruitment Scheme for recruitment in the Indian Army. The main objective of the scheme is to connect youth in all three services. The scheme will come into force immediately and the person joining the scheme will be called Agniveer. Defence Minister Rajnath Singh announced the Agneepath scheme in the presence of chiefs of the three services. Rajnath Singh said the scheme will revolutionise India’s armed forces. With this, the economy of the country will improve and the future of the youth will be brighter.
- Higher pay packages for the youth along with risk and hardship allowance. (Applicable in three-year service)
- ‘Seva Nidhi’ will be paid to the Agniveers on completion of four years of service. The Seva Nidhi comprises their contribution which includes accrued interest thereon and matching contribution from the government equal to the accumulated amount of their contribution including interest.
- The Agniveers will be provided life insurance (non-contributory) coverage of ₹48 lakh for the duration of their services in the Indian Armed Forces.
- The Agniveers will learn several skills and experience. They’ll learn qualities like discipline, physical fitness, leadership qualities, courage, and patriotism.
- The individual selected for the enrolment in the Armed Forces as a regular trade will be required to serve for a minimum of 15 years and will be governed by the existing terms and conditions of service of Junior Commissioned officer in the Indian Army the and same in Indian Navy and Indian Air force.
Agnipath scheme: Eligibility
Under the Agneepath scheme, both men and women will be given a chance to become Agneeveer. Youth from 17.5 years to 21 years of age may be eligible to join this service. At present, the army’s medical and physical standards will be valid. The youth who have passed 10th and 12th can become agniveer. The new system is only for employees below the officer rank. The recruitment under the Agneepath scheme will be done through rallies twice a year.
- Under this scheme, both men and women can apply and the candidates must be between the ages of 17.5 and 21 to serve in the Indian Armed Forces.
- Candidates for all three services under the Indian Armed Forces will be enrolled through a centralized online system, which includes specific rallies and campus interviews. These interviews will be conducted in recognized technical colleges.
- The enrolment will be based on an ‘All India All Class’ basis.
- The Agniveers have to meet the medical requirements to get shortlisted in any of the Indian Armed Forces.
- The education qualification required for enrolment in many categories under the scheme is vogue. The education qualification required to be a General Duty (GD) soldier is class 10.
- Girls can also apply for the Agnipath scheme under the given age limit. There is no specific reservation for women.
Agnipath scheme: Advantages
After being selected under this scheme, the candidate will have to undergo 6 months of training and then be deployed for three and a half years. During this period, they will get an initial salary of Rs 30,000 along with additional benefits. This benefit will reach Rs 40,000 by the end of four years of service.
It may be mentioned here that during this period, 30% of their salary will be set aside under the Seva Nidhi programme and the Government will also give the same amount every month. There will also be interest in it. At the end of the four-year period, each soldier will receive Rs 11.71 lakh as a lump sum amount and will be tax-free. Along with this, they will also get a life insurance cover of Rs 48 lakh for four years. In case of death, a payment of Rs. 1 crore will be made. This includes non-service pay.
- A new and transformative reform of the recruitment policy of the Indian Armed Forces.
- Unique opportunity for the youth of India to serve in the Indian Armed Forces and serve the country and help in nation-building.
- New, youthful and dynamic image of Armed Forces in India.
- Agniveers will be given good pay packages.
- Opportunity to get training in the best institutions and development of their skills and experience.
- Availability of skilled youth with military ethos in society.
- Employment opportunity development for those who are returning to society and for those who are going to emerge as a role model for the upcoming youth.
The candidate will serve as agniveer in the Army for 4 years. Agniveer will quit his army job after four years of service. After this, he will be able to live as a skilled citizen in society. Based on merit and as per the requirement of the Army, 25% agniveers will be accommodated in the regular cadre. It is being said that they will also be given priority in other jobs which will be re-selected, for those who will be re-selected, the initial period of four years for them will not be considered for retirement benefits
Under this scheme, recruitment will start within 90 days. The recruitment will be done as per all-India, all categories in the service. This is particularly important for the Army. The regiment system of the Army has regiments by region and caste. The old system will be abolished over a period of time so that anyone from any caste, region, class or religious background can become a part of the existing regiment in the near future.
Lt Gen Anil Puri, Additional Secretary, Department of Military Affairs, said the average age in the armed forces today is 32 years, the average age under the scheme will come down to 26 in six to seven years and it will raise “future-ready” troops.
Announcing the scheme, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said efforts were being made to make the profile of the armed forces as young as the large Indian population. This will increase employment opportunities and provide employment to such soldiers in various sectors due to the skills and experience gained during the four years of service.
He further said that this will provide a highly skilled workforce in the economy. Which will help in productivity gain and overall GDP growth. Lt Gen Puri said the government will help in the rehabilitation of soldiers who leave the services after four years. They will be provided with skill certificates and bridge courses.
FAQs on the Agnipath scheme
1. How many soldiers will be recruited under Agnipath?
Ans. 46,000 soldiers will be recruited under the Agnipath scheme this year. The youth of India will get a huge opportunity to serve in Indian Armed Forces with a high pay scale.
2. When will the Agnipath recruitment scheme for defence forces start?
Ans. The Government is going to announce the Agnipath recruitment scheme for defence forces on 14th June 2022.